Monday, April 7, 2014

Why I hate historical fiction

Have I mentioned before how much I love to read? Well, I do love it, although my life doesn't allow much time for it. Usually I listen to 2-3 books per month while I'm in the car, folding laundry, mopping, washing dishes making breakfast, showering, pretty much during any mundane task I have my little bluetooth speaker nearby. Actually reading is still preferable, but time is so limited I get through about 1 book a month the old fashioned way.

I've been thinking it's been a long time since I read anything I really loved, you know, when you read a book and it makes you look at the world in a completely new way you never considered before? I just finished listening to My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliviera. I'm just going to openly admit right now, I hated it. This is what always happens when I pick something up off the shelf without doing my homework on Goodreads first. I think it's safe to say I hate historical fiction with a passion and I'm determined never to read it again.

If I wanted to read about history, I would read non-fiction. How can historical fiction teach you anything except how dull and boring a story can be when the author attempts to throw in so many historical details it actually detracts from her story rather than adding a richer authenticity to it? Nothing, the story flat lined in my opinion, underdeveloped characters, weak storyline, ambiguous love triangle, did he love her as a daughter or as a woman, because if there was a love story going on I missed it until the very last page. This book had no pulse.

On to greener pastures. I've begun This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett, which has actually been extremely enjoyable since page 5, although still not sure how the title fits into the book, and Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool which is turning out to be an easy read and a good page turner. I think even if the ending turns out to be stupid I will still like this book because the story keeps me thinking about it even when I'm not reading. Next up is Wonder by R.J. Palacio which I've heard is really great too, maybe I'll get on a lucky reading streak, knock on wood, but seriously, Mary Sutter was bad enough to leave a bad book taste in my mouth for at least a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment