Saturday, April 5, 2014

DIY Roman Shades


A few weeks ago I finally succumbed to the urge to make my own blinds. Our kitchen is very tiny, maybe 8x10, but has huge windows.

Like clockwork, by Wednesday, all the laundry is washed, and piled in unfolded heaps downstairs, sometimes until the next Wednesday. This requires me to very often streak through the kitchen to get to the basement and find some clean underwear. This was working quite well for me, I had a system of poking my head in to check for people walking their dogs or jogging, before I made the mad dash.

However, last year our neighbor passed away, and his house was quickly bought, then half of it torn down to be expanded, which I think is ironic because when our original neighbor bought the house he also expanded it's backside before moving in. All signs point to an insatiable social need to expand and conquer our suburban lots as the next generation moves into society, which bothers me, but that's another story.

So next door construction by default, has brought a lot of contractors near my house, and let's not forget to mention the lovely blue dumpster accompanying the yellow brick wall which entertains my kitchen view. My chances of being caught in the buff are significantly higher than they used to be, so this time I acted.

There's not a single cookie cutter shade in existence that would fit these windows, believe me I've looked everywhere. I'm incredibly cheap so there's no way I was going to pay to have custom blinds made either. Instead I scoured Pinterest for the most detailed DIY Roman Shades which lucky for me also required no sewing, since my sewing machine broke last year and I'm dragging my feet to replace it because I'm so cheap.

Anyways, here are the results, please excuse my unpainted walls, the kitchen remodel is scheduled to begin in T minus 18 months, right after we finish the chicken coop and fence this summer, and basement bedrooms this winter. I'm really happy with the way they turned out. I now have a cheery yellow to greet me as I make breakfast, and I won't have to risk flashing any constructions workers.

Anybody else think it's weird they made windows lower than counter top height in the 1940's? Just sayin'

Don't you think the ugly yellow wall compliments the chevron print?

Ahhhh privacy

Here's a glimpse of that lovely dumpster.

5 comments:

  1. Anya, they look awesome! You have some talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Thanks!! I feel like as long as I can find a good how-to I can make anything, just don't ask me to be creative and make my own pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog post is very nice. Thanks for sharing. If you are interested, you can also visit at http://www.windowcollections.com/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a gorgeous collection, everything is so unique and custom. I love the red roman shades with the tree painted on the wall between, what a great idea for when I do the kids rooms. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. The yellow brick wall does compliment the chevron print on the fabric. Haha! Great job, Anya! I think that is a great idea, especially if you have really unsightly views on that window. I think you did a great job on that one. It looks really great. Also, I do agree with the point you raised. It seems that people just love a wider space nowadays. I do think your statement kind of reminds me of that song from Pocahontas. You think you own whatever you land on, right? Haha! Anyway, take care always. :D

    Taylor Allen @ Sunburst Shutters Arizona

    ReplyDelete