Saturday, January 11, 2014

"The Law of Undulation"

Work has won the battle of my time, again. Today felt like I fried my brain attempting to keep up with changes within my department and the effects of new FAA rules for pilots (if you don't know what that is, you should click the link to find out before the next time you take a flight). This resulted in tears silently dripping onto my desk as I continued to work. Flight cancellations are piling up, and I can feel the need for mandatory overtime growing and beckoning.

I am so grateful though for the caring people I work with, especially when they text on days like to today to see how I'm doing, and drive into work to help the operation and rescue me. You know who you are, I'm so lucky I get to work with you. So these pages might see some neglect again, but these things are always temporary, chaos cannot last forever.

As CS Lewis says in the The Screwtape Letters, "Has no one every told you of the law of undulation? . . . . the repeated return to a level from which they repeatedly fall back, a series of troughs and peaks...." For the full text click here. Even though CS Lewis is writing about spiritual lows and highs, I think the same concept applies to times of stress and contentment, we are constantly switching between the two for the duration of our lives. I know after this trough of stress, a peak of contentment will eventually follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment