Monday, December 2, 2013

I'm getting an early start on New Year Resolutions

I don't know what it is about December that gets me thinking about all the things I want to improve on, but it happens every year. I get all these ideas about how to reform myself. In the past I have tried to wait until January to implement them, but by then it seems like all my steam is gone, so this year, I'm making changes right now, while the ideas are still fresh in my head.

#1. If you're not loosing weight, you're gaining. In my case, the last few years I seem to be gaining weight, unless I'm actually taking the time to consciously be healthy. So I began today tracking calories with my fitness pal, drinking at least 2 liters of water, and eating 2 servings of fruit and vegetables each per day. Goal -2 lbs per month.

#2. Be better about studying with Hunter. So now I've got a game plan. Instead of picking something random to work on each day, I've made a calendar with four categories plus his 20 minutes of reading to work on each day, with stickers and rewards etc.

#3. Exercise more consistently and add variety. Instead of running 2-3 times per week, I'm going to do 5-6 times per week using my old triathlon training program that I did two years ago. I'm not actually training for a triathlon, but I like the variety of the workouts. As an added bonus of the elbow breaking, I'm attempting to work fewer hours so this should help with making time to exercise more.

#4. Church goals. These same ones are on my list every year. Temple. Family Home Evening. Family Scripture Reading. 'Nuff said.

#5. Be more grateful. We had this amazing lesson in Relief Society about gratitude, and I learned something, "the more grateful you are as a person, the happier you will be". Since I feel like I've finally gotten away from the muck of depression, there are still days that are. . .not so great. But I do have days were I am very happy, and I would like more of those days. I keep a journal and write almost every day anyways, so I'm going to add to it a bullet point list of things I am grateful for that happened throughout the day. I think recognizing all the good in each day will help keep those happy vibes flowing.

So wish me luck! I'll give an update after New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment