Monday, November 25, 2013

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Last night I finished reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I'm a little bit torn on my opinion of it. On the one hand I loved how Cheryl was able to move on with her life after the death of her mother by taking her life into her own hands hiking from the Desert in California up to Northern Oregon. She writes beautifully without being cumbersome in her descriptions, and I love the way she weaves her past into the story of her 4 month hike.

On the other hand, I read about how she does heroin, and in my naive mind I think, STOP what are you doing? This is bad this is very bad! How will she recover, how will she ever become a functioning member of society? I was amazed to find that there are people who have done drugs who are able to leave it in the past. Okay, so it's pretty apparent I don't have any experience with drugs or friends who did them. So maybe it was good for me to read about it to gain a new perspective, instead of living in a bubble world, but I will admit it startled me.

What also startled me was sex with strangers. Just repeat all the reactions I had about her doing drugs, STOP, how will she recover, and then she does. The whole thing really served as a reminder to me that we're all flawed, we're all going to make mistakes. I think we're actually meant to, not in the sense that we should seek to mess up, but in the sense that in case it happens, there is always another side to everything, and nothing in our lives that we can't change, should we decide to become different people, and hopefully along the way we will have learned something about ourselves and the the rest of the world, and become happier more insightful people than we were before.

So do I recommend reading Wild? Yes. Will it be on my favorite books of all times list? Debatable. But it was a close call.

No comments:

Post a Comment