Sunday, November 10, 2013

Rise and Pray

Scripture of the day: Why sleep ye? rise and pray lest ye enter into temptation. Luke 22:46

I love winter, the snow, the chilly air, the sweaters and boots, but I do not love that chilly air when it's time to get out of bed. Just five more minutes, I can spare ten more, five more, ah crap, I've got 20 minutes to get out the door. In the summer it's so easy to roll onto my knees, it's just as warm on the floor as it is between my sheets. But winter, forget it! Occasionally I drag all the blankets from my bed with me to the floor as I pray, but I only get away with it when my sleeping companion is out of bed. Most of the time I snuggle up as close as I can to him for warmth and sleep as late as I can. This is probably exacerbated by my temptation to stay up too late.

I love that quiet time when everybody rests including me, just without the shut-eye part. Last night I worked on my 2013 photo book at Costco.com, or I'm up because I couldn't put down Wild by Cheryl Strayed, or I'm catching up on Revenge and Nashville, or hey I'm blogging, maybe you've noticed a lot of my posts are around midnight. But I can't keep on like this, I have little people to feed and dress, places to be, and a morning run to get in, because yes I'm that stereotypical person who if she doesn't work out in the morning, she doesn't get it done at all. You've probably noticed I've been posting less as well.

Maybe I've hit a slump. I debated for a while over which is better, quality or quantity, but then I remembered why I started blogging, it was to hold myself accountable to write every day, for the experience of it, for the consistent practice of putting words to um, screen? The second reason was to train my brain not to worry about what people will think of me. So I'm going to go with quantity, granted you may see some short posts, or something less than entertaining. That's okay, read the ones you like, ignore the rest. Hey, I do the same thing when I read a book; if it hasn't got my attention after the first few chapters, I move on and find a book more interesting.

So when I roll out of bed tomorrow with an extra blanket on the floor and a space heater next to me, let's all hope I'm well rested so I can pray for morning inspirations, a good run, and my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment