Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The snow is coming

This is what moms do, we run through life at breakneck pace, looking towards the next big accomplishment, first steps, first words, first day of school, the next grade, next birthday. I will admit, I am guilty
of missing the moment and stretching my neck to see the future.

I try to run three miles on the treadmill every morning but am I wasting time and being counter productive? We are in such a hurry to be on time for preschool and kindergarten that I often drive the 2 blocks to preschool and one block to kindergarten. The library is 1.6 miles away, 3.2 miles round trip. Our church is half a mile away and we always drive because we don't fit the walking time into our getting ready routine. Sometimes I wonder if I should dress in my sweats and running shoes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and run around the neighborhood all day instead of driving.

That said, I vow to make more time for walking. I promise to put a block in my mind against thoughts of all the things I could be getting done with the five minutes I would save by driving. . . .dishes, another chapter in a book, sweeping. . . ..and to enjoy the sunlight and Fall breezes and to remind myself to take advantage because Fall never lasts long enough and soon there will be a foot of snow covering my path. I vow walk through the minutes of the day, lower my pace and savor these stages, before a foot of snow rests on my memories of 3 year old Amy, 5 year old Hunter.

No comments:

Post a Comment