Friday, October 18, 2013

The Joys of Acne

I remember my first breakout, I was 14 and in the 9th grade. I asked my parents to buy me some face wash and that was that, the acne cleared up and I didn't think much about it till college. At that point I started to break out more and more and I remember thinking I thought this was supposed to go away with age? Nope sorry, my face laughs at me and squeezes out another inflamed pimple. There was Neutrogena, ProActiv and glowing pregnancy skin without a trace of blemish to keep my psyche free of zit worry during those days, but now that my baby bearing days are over and I'll be 30 next year, I should be over this right? In fact I'm so over this I finally went to see a dermatologist.

He tells me it appears to be hormone driven and he's going to prescribe a hormone suppressant that should work immediately. Which hormone does it suppress you ask? Why testosterone of course, because didn't you know excess testosterone in women creates hormonal acne? Who knew. Oh, and it's also the same drug given to men wanting to become more feminine prior to a sex change. Um, well, all I can say is I'm desperate and glad I'm not a man. I also get to apply a retinoid cream that makes your pores more slippery. It required special permission from my insurance to cover because using it for acne is an "off label" application. What does that mean, you ask? It mean retinoid creams are mainly used for firming up your skin like collagen or botox, only it's topical, yay for me! Oh and to speed up the process, he says, I'm going to have you try Aczone topically during the day. It's pretty amazing stuff he tells me, they used to prescribe it internally for lepers because it kills bacteria. Wow, so now I'm a testosterone charged woman with leprosy who needs botox.

Wish me luck! Here's my before pic, I'll post an after pic next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment