Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Have you ever had to lead music?

A few months ago I was called to lead the music in Relief Society (a meeting for women held during LDS church). I can see why I was called, I mean I can read music, but that's about the extent of my choir capabilities. The first time I had to lead I was shaking, yes I have developed some stage fright since I've spent the last 29 years of my life trying not to be noticed, ahem, until this year and beginning to blog.

I think anxious and apprehensive are the best words to describe it. Before the song I frantically turned to the back of the hymn book to find the diagrams on how to wave my arm, but it didn't seem to pay off that first day; neither I or the pianist were following each other and I had to stop several times to find the beat.

Feeling very abashed, especially as I noticed an older woman in the front row carefully watching me. Oh no  I thought she's so religious, she's going to think I'm sacrilegious that I don't take this seriously. Graciously after the meeting she said "you did great, you'll get the hang of it." Whew! I dodged that bullet! Seriously though, I was so grateful for her kind words, they gave me the strength to go up there again the next Sunday.

Every week I flip to the back of the book and make tiny motions with my hand to 'practice' before leading in front of all those women. I thought I was getting better, and I must be because I think I've become entirely too comfortable when I'm up there. I'm not proud to say, though not too proud to write about it......my most recent blunder. I stood with my hymn book ready, and began to daydream. I completely forgot to begin leading until the pianist stopped after the prelude and gave me the stare down. "whops! Sorry everybody! I was so not ready for that" and begin!

Yes I probably am loosing my mind, I didn't even realize what a studious daydreamer I am, and I can't even remember what I was thinking so hard about that distracted me in the first place. Maybe it's late onset ADD? but I guarantee from now on I'll be super focused. It's amazing how embarrassment can keep you from making the same mistake twice.

Anybody else have a story about leading music?

4 comments:

  1. When I was 16, my family lived in Germany and attended the American military branch. I was called to lead the music in Sacrament meeting and we only sang hymns that were 4/4 or 3/4 - haha. This was during the 80's and I always wore the most hideous outfits (although at the time I thought I looked GOOD). My poor parents just smiled and sang along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they were so proud of you! I happen to think 80's was one of the greatest eras to be alive in :)

      Delete
  2. Anya, you are doing great! I don't even remember that blunder...maybe I wasn't there but I have no memory of that. I would have never guessed that you were so nervous up there. You look like and natural. I love your blog...read every post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! So glad you didn't see my fear up there! Your encouragement is like gold. Thanks so much for reading.

      Delete