Saturday, September 7, 2013

Motel 6

I wrote this when we went to Jackson Hole, WY last May for the Antler Auction. Usually only Mike and Hunter go because it's more of a business trip. Mike reserves a spot in the square to sell his antlers, and only goes down for 2 days. This year we decided to make a family vacation out of it, but I don't know how great of an idea that was because the Antler Auction is the week before all the tourist attractions open for the Summer season. We had planned to spend most of our time at the pool while Mike was at the square, but it was cold and rainy the whole time. We lucked out because there was a carnival at the library so I took the kids there instead. They got henna tattoos, a balloon sword for Hunter, and a balloon poodle for Amy, and they were happy, but I was going stir crazy. I finally decided to go for a run after some inner debate about running by myself in a place I was unfamiliar with. I usually run on our treadmill at home because I hate running outside. I know it sounds terrible, but I hate being on display (see the naked blog post) and running outside feels like just that. Our neighborhood is really hilly, so call me a wuss but I also hate to run uphill. When I left the Motel I headed into a neighborhood around the corner and discovered a trail that was part forest part neighborhood and relatively flat. I had found running nirvana.

Motel 6

I'm thinking how
can I get out
of this room.
I don't know where
the trails are. Still I need
to get outside. Rain
for two days
it's decided
I will get wet
maybe soaked
I accept
the imminence.
Tennishoes
black leggings
navy sweatshirt
ear buds
pearl jam and
a beagle named
Stewey. I have a plan.
Stay in the neighborhood.
Stay away from the highway.
Cars pass
who stare. I hate onlookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment