Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cash Only please

Last night I finally got around to listing my piano on KSL. I've been dragging my feet because I hate to sell it, but I've got this inner need to be practical as well. I've had it since I was 16 years old, it's like a part of me, a relic of my history. But the fact that it's part of my history and not the future is reason enough to sell it. There's not a room in our house that really
accommodates the size of a baby grand, and secondly, I'm always paranoid of the kids getting up from the dinner table with greasy fingers and pounding on the keys as they leave the dining room, third, we really need to buy a vehicle that has 4 seats to fit our family and can still pull Mike's quad, so selling the piano would really help with that. Don't be alarmed that I will be music-less, I fully intend to replace it with a smaller upright piano, one that would be more practical for the kids to learn on.

Within an hour of placing the ad I had this great text conversation: 
       
Scammer: $7,500 Yamaha Baby Grand GH1 Hello do you still have it for sale ???

Me: Yes it is

Scammer: Thanks, im just asking about it to make sure its in good condition as im buying it for my cousin as a surprise and he doesn't know about it, so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it. I read an understand theid add quite alright, but there are few thing i would like to know about the item (1) are you the first 

Me: I am the 2nd owner. The first owner was a well to do author. He also took great care with it. It was built in 1989. Would you like to take a look at it tomorrow?

Scammer: i'm okay with the firm price and condition,,i will be paying you through PayPal, pls get back to me with your PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.....Hope to read back from you soonest..Cheers

Me: Don't you want to see it first?

(now his story changes)
Scammer: Well it a very good idea to see what i want to buy for my self but i want you to know that i am not around for now as i have just been posted out due to the very nature of my work but i want you to be rest
assured as i will arranging for the pick up agent who will be inspecting it pls get back to me with your PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up
and deliver it in my place.....Hope to read back from you soonest..Cheers

Me: I don't have a Paypal account. (I lied)
Scammer: sorry to hear you don't have an account with PayPal.I hope you wont mind to get an account with PayPal.Its reliable and easy to use PayPal,all you need to do is visit www.paypal.com and register with
them.When you are done with the registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal so i can pay in..............Await your response.

Me: Sorry, I prefer cash. 

End of story.

I had the enjoyment of the exact same conversation with another scammer this morning. So this afternoon I decided to research it. Looks like KSL is fully aware of these people. They send you an amount in excess of the asking price, then request you wire the extra money back to them. By the time the bank figures out the money they sent you was fraudulent, the scammer has his money from you and you're responsible for the entire amount. Scary!!!!!!!!!!!  End result, my ad now states "cash only".

And for anybody interested or who knows somebody who wants to buy a piano, here it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment